Is Anna Maria Island dog friendly? 🐶 This might be a question you’re asking yourself if you’re looking to take a vacation with your pup in tow. The good news is that the answer is yes!
I know from personal experience how difficult it can be to travel with a dog, but it’s entirely worth it and possible to take them along.
While there are definitely some areas where you’ll be a little more restricted from bringing your furry friend, there are still plenty of great things to do on the Island.
From dog parks to local restaurants and bars, there are plenty of places for your four-legged family member. Read on to find out where you can bring your dog on the island and pet-friendly things to do.
( Some of the links in this post are probably affiliate links meaning I might make a small percentage of any purchases you make. All opinions remain my own. For my disclosure policy click here. )
Is Anna Maria Island Dog Friendly?
So can you really bring your dog to Anna Maria Island and still have the time of your life? Absolutely!
In fact, there are tons of things to do with your pup in this paradise. Let’s go through some basic ground rules for having a dog on the island and then dive into where you can bring fido.
Dog Leash Policy
Like most places in the US, dogs must be on a leash when out and about. This is for everyone’s safety – you don’t want your pup to go running off into traffic or get into it with another dog.
But if you’re looking for a place to let them roam free (in a safe environment), Anna Maria Island has some great dog parks and off-leash areas for your pup to burn off some energy.
Dog Friendly Parks
Speaking of dog parks being the perfect place to take your pup while on the island, here are some of the best dog parks:
- Scentral Park Dog Park – Located on Flotilla Drive in Holmes Beach, this is a great place for dogs to play and socialize. Fenced in spot for your dog to run free as well as water fountains and shade for owners.
- Palma Sola Causeway Dog Park – This dog park is located along the causeway that connects Bradenton and Anna Maria Island (in the bay area), and it’s a great place for dogs to run and play in the water. It’s one of the only places with access to a beach so add it to your list but be mindful of the traffic nearby!
- Robinson Preserve Dog Park – This dog park is located in Bradenton, just a short drive from Anna Maria Island, and it’s a great place for dogs to explore and play. The park features access to several trails, perfect for a nature walk.
Anna Maria Island Dog Friendly Beaches
Now a common question you might have if you’re bringing your dog on your beach vacation is this: can I bring them to the beach or are there any dog friendly beaches?
Unfortunately, no. I know how sad. 😢
But, there is a good reason why dogs aren’t allowed on the beaches in Anna Maria Island. This is due to the delicate wildlife that lives around the island. Wildlife, such as sea turtles, shorebirds, and other small animals, can be easily disturbed or harmed by dogs, so it’s important to keep them away from the beaches.
So, while I understand your pup would love nothing more than to romp in the waves with you, it’s in everyone’s best interest that they stay clear of the beaches.
Dog Friendly Restaurants & Bars
So you’ve enjoyed a day on the island, and now you’re heading out to enjoy some of the most incredible seafood at a local restaurant or grabbing a drink at the bar. Again, you’re wondering – can you bring your pup or do you need to leave them at the hotel (so sad)?
Here are some restaurants and bars that allow dogs or are more pet friendly on the island. Of course, make sure you call ahead to double check that these places do in fact still allow dogs as things can change with time.
- Harry’s Grill – This restaurant is located in Anna Maria, and they have a dog-friendly outdoor seating area. They offer a menu of American fare, including burgers, sandwiches, and local craft beers.
- The Waterfront Restaurant – This restaurant is located in Anna Maria, and it has a dog-friendly outdoor seating area with beachy vibes. They offer a menu of fresh seafood, a beer and wine bar, and a waterfront experience.
- The Ugly Grouper – This restaurant is located in Holmes Beach, and they have a dog-friendly outdoor seating area. They offer a menu of seafood, burgers, and and even live music. Great place for a drink too!
- Freckled Fin Irish Pub – Located in Holmes Beach, this Irish pub is a great spot for seafood, pizza and even live music. There’s a dog-friendly patio that’s perfect for your furry friend.
- The Bridge Tender Inn & Dockside Bar – Lively beachy spot on Bradenton Beach for American food and a great bar. There’s a dockside bar and a patio outside that’s dog friendly. Great location & food!
Outdoor patios are absolute life savers when it comes to taking your dog anywhere but especially on vacation. Look for places that have patios, and then call to see if they allow dogs outside.
Anna Maria Island Dog Friendly Rentals
With a bit of research and careful planning, you can find the perfect dog-friendly vacation rental on Anna Maria Island and enjoy a wonderful getaway with your furry companion.
I did a search for you, and came up with a short list of popular vacation rentals that allow pets. Here they are:
- Charming Florida Home – Heated pool, outdoor kitchenette, hot tub, fire pit and pet friendly
- Vintage 1950’s Bungalow – located on the sought after north end of the island, less than a block from Bean Point Beach, complimentary bikes, beach gear, and a screened porch, and pet friendly
- Family Beachfront condo – Located near the beach and Bridge Street, large pool, beach gear, and stunning views of the Gulf of Mexico from the living room, master bedroom, and open-air porch, plus pet friendly
If you’re searching on your own, I recommend using the filter options to show dog-friendly properties.
It’s also a good idea to read the property’s specific policies on dogs, including any additional fees or restrictions. Additionally, some rental properties may require a pet deposit or have weight or breed restrictions, so it’s important to clarify these details before booking.
Anna Maria Island Dog Friendly Hotels
What about hotels, you ask? Can you bring your best pal to a hotel? Well, for starters – Anna Maria Island isn’t a big “hotel” type of place, at least not in the normal sense of large company owned chain hotels.
That might make it a little more challenging to find a good hotel for your pet but not impossible! There are still many different dog and pet friendly places to stay.
Some popular hotels that allow dogs on the island include:
- Compass Hotel Anna Maria Island Sound – Boutique hotel at the gateway to Anna Maria Island and also pet friendly (40 lb. or less, $100 pet fee upfront and $25 per night)
- Waterline Villas & Marina – Boutique hotel in Holmes Beach with beautiful rooms and pet friendly (no weight limit mentioned on website, $150 non-refundable pet fee is per room, per stay)
- Anna Maria Island Inn – Resort hotel set on a private beach in Bradenton Beach with great rooms and pet friendly (must provide notice upfront, 50 lb. weight limit, $50 fee per night)
Just note: there are generally certain pet policies and other fees that you need to keep in mind for bringing your dog to a hotel.
Hotel policies on dogs may vary and it is always best to call ahead to confirm their specific policies and any additional fees.
FAQ: Is Anna Maria Island Dog Friendly?
So we’ve covered a lot of ground so far, but you might have some more questions about this topic. Here are some questions and answers that come up quite a bit with bringing a dog to Anna Maria Island.
Are dogs allowed on the beach at Anna Maria Island?
Unfortunately, no dogs are not allowed on the beach at Anna Maria Island. There are plenty of dog parks and other areas to take your dog though!
Are dogs allowed on Bradenton beaches?
No, dogs are not allowed on Bradenton beaches but this area is still dog friendly with many things to do nearby including dog parks and dog friendly restaurants.
Final Thoughts: Is Anna Maria Island Dog Friendly?
Anna Maria Island in Florida is a pawsome (yes, this pun was necessary) vacation destination for all you dog lovers out there!
With plenty of dog parks, pet-friendly restaurants and bars, and accommodations that welcome pets, you won’t have to leave your four-legged friend behind on your sunny getaway.
And with so many pet-friendly options available, you can rest assured that your question about whether Anna Maria Island is dog friendly is a resounding yes!
Dogs are not allowed anywhere on the public beaches on Anna Maria Island. Engaging in prohibited activities can result in a $500 fine! So if you want to let your dog swim leash free you can head East just 3 miles to the Palma Sola Causeway.Can dogs go on the beach at Anna Maria Island? ›
Unfortunately, Anna Maria Island does not have any pet friendly beaches but there are plenty of other options.Can I bring my dog to Holmes Beach? ›
Holmes Beach is pet friendly! If you need help to decide where to stay, play, or eat with Fido, you've come to the right place. Here's the scoop on our favorite pet friendly hotels, dog friendly activities, and restaurants that allow dogs in Holmes Beach.Are dogs allowed on Bradenton beaches? ›
Bring your pet for a dip at De Soto National Memorial Beach in Bradenton, FL. This dog-friendly recreation area welcomes leashed pups to enjoy a stroll along the trails and shoreline with you. Restrooms and water stations are available.Can dogs go to Ala Moana beach? ›
DPR regulations do not allow animals anywhere in Ala Moana Beach Park.Where are dogs allowed on Anna Maria Island? ›
The closest dog friendly beach is Palma Sola Causeway on Manatee Avenue, where you can take your dog for a run or swim. This park is less than a 10-minute drive from Holmes Beach on Anna Maria Island.Can you swim in the ocean at Anna Maria Island? ›
Absolutely! Anna Maria Island is known for its stunning, clear waters and sandy beaches which are perfect for swimming.